4 Best Ways to Get Free Stuff
None of this “buy one get one free” business. None of those fake freebies either. You know, those free sample offers you see floating around that require you to pay for shipping, or the “discount” spreads out over a few purchases.
We’re talking about 100% free stuff.
You might need to commit to a few minutes of your time or enter your email address but it could be seriously worth it.
So let’s go on a journey to help you with the best ways to get free stuff, shall we?
Spend a few minutes filling out forms to win free vacations and other cool merchandise?
Where do I sign up?
Seriously, entering online contests can be a fast, free and dare we say fun way to win prizes. The good news is that there are plenty of websites that point you to legitimate contests you can sign up to win, just like that. Most are free, but there are some where you can get access to local giveaways and updated listings for a small fee. It’s up to you to decide whether that fee is worth it.
Here are a few directories to get you started:
- Sweeties’ Sweeps – The website features a free directory of sweepstakes and tips to help you win. There’s a paid membership option if you want access to local giveaways.
- ContestGirl – A totally free site that offers entry tracking, contest categories, and a community forum.
- Sweepstakes Lovers – It’s a pretty big contest directory so if you get overwhelmed easily, you may want to avoid this one.
- Sweeping America – This is a paid newsletter that features mail-in contests. The website shows you other types of contests like ones on blogs, online or social media.
- SweepSheet – Another paid newsletter that hones in on online and mail-in contests.
Attend Timeshare Presentations
Listen. There are some pretty shady timeshare companies out there. We get it.
But believe it or not, there are ones that are totally legitimate and that offer some perks like discounted vacations and free stuff (think Disney tickets or hotel stays). We’re talking about fancy hotel chains like Marriott and Hilton. Most of the time they’ll offer super discounted vacation packages, but will include free things.
We’ve heard stories of people who’ve gotten free tours, Visa gift cards and credit card rewards from legitimate companies after sitting in on a timeshare presentation. The idea is that these places own timeshare companies and want to boost their business. So the logic is that the more people who sit in on these presentations, the higher the chance someone will bite the bullet and buy into a timeshare.
To get these free perks, you are required to sit in on a sales presentation. Now, it’s understandable that you aren’t exactly thrilled at the prospect of being sold to for hours (I personally rather go to the dentist for a root canal), so consider whether it’s worth your time for a free vacation (or whatever they’re offering you).
Besides, there’s no obligation to purchase a timeshare. Be warned though — some salespeople can really put the pressure on you, so be prepared to say no a few times (come up with multiple excuses if you have to).
Timeshare presentations tend to be invite-only but don’t despair. You can get an invite by calling
Some of the major timeshare company websites — Hilton Grand Vacations, Diamond Resorts, Marriott Vacation Club, Starwood Vacation Network and Westgate Resorts to name a few — and fill out their contact form or call and say you’re interested in attending a presentation and see what they offer. Be careful when searching online. There are a number of websites posing as middlemen to help you find these deals. While some are legit, there are many that may mislead you into thinking you’ll get a free vacation but slap on fees for the privilege.
Free Samples Are Your Best Friend
Sure, you can do a simple online search for free stuff. Chances are, you’re going to get overwhelmed and spend a lot of time weeding through items you may or may not want.
Instead, enlist the help of website directories to get you free samples in the mail.
Here are a few to get you started:
- PINCHme – you can get free samples in the mail from brands like L’Oreal, Kellogg’s and Kraft. You can pick which samples you want each week and in return, you provide some feedback on the product.
- Smiley360 – You can try out popular brands and qualify to receive free products that match your interests and lifestyle. LikePINCHme, you’ll need to provide brief feedback on the product.
- Sample Source – This website sends out samples each quarter. It doesn’t mention when they’ll be available, so it’s best to sign up and you’ll get notified when you can put in a request.
- BzzAgent – In exchange for free samples, you may need to complete tasks like telling a friend about it or sharing it on social media.
- Crowdtap – Once you sign up, you can get samples or party kits from major companies like Neutrogena and Hershey’s. You can join what’s called a “brand crowd” where you can earn points towards entries to win free gift cards.
Barter With Your Neighbors
It’s not just about borrowing a cup of sugar. Your community can be a source of gold for free items and services.
For example, you have a tree that’s pretty much dead and you refuse to pay someone to chop it down. Your neighbor happens to be a professional tree cutter (bear with me here) and offers to do it for free, as long as he can use the wood for his fireplace. Looks like you just saved yourself around a hundred dollars or so.
Of course, be neighborly and don’t be selfish about it. If you can offer to help, do so. If you have items you no longer need, give them away. The point is that you can get to know your neighbors and get free stuff in the process. Pretty rad right?
You can also go beyond your immediate surroundings and look at places like Nextdoor.com and Craigslist to find free items. Just be careful when picking up items — try to do so in a public place and never go by yourself.
Where Will You Be Getting Your Free Stuff?
Getting free stuff can be great as long as you’re willing to put in a bit of time and effort to seek them out. Before going all out, figure out what you think is worth your time and start small.
Now go forth and get that free stuff!