4 Affordable Honeymoon Savings Hacks
Your honeymoon is supposed to be the dream vacation of a lifetime — a romantic party just for you and your new spouse. But as you found out paying for your wedding, the price tag can inflate very quickly. Is draining your savings or taking on debt the best way to kick off married life?
Charlie’s got a few tips to keep more of your cash in your wallet, while still honeymooning in style.
Before you shell out a dime, sit down with your partner and discuss what you truly want out of your honeymoon experience. If your wish lists are different, find common ground and identify your collective must-haves. These priorities will dictate how to best spend your money so you get the most bang for your buck. For example, you may be fine flying coach, but absolutely hate the idea of preparing some of your own meals.
Depending on the experience you’re looking for, there are several ways your choice of destination can have a positive impact on your budget:
- Stay somewhere local: If your getaway is within driving distance, you can still have a great time, while saving a ton in travel costs.
- Travel at off-peak times: If you visit a location during their slow season, you can expect lower prices on pretty much everything and less crowds to deal with.
- Go all-inclusive: If you go on a cruise or to a resort where everything is included, you’ll know exactly what you’re paying and what you’re getting up front. No guesswork and no surprises.
- Have a destination wedding: While this option may not be popular with your guests, there’s a lot to be said for the convenience of being on your honeymoon the moment the ceremony is over. The best part? Resorts will often give you a package deal.
Time it Right
Timing is everything when it comes to travel planning. Here are a few strategies for you to consider:
- Book super early: If your plans are very specific, you’ll get the best rate by making the arrangements well in advance.
- Wait until the last possible minute: If your plans are more flexible, finalizing your itinerary late in the game could result in hot deals as airlines and hotels try to fill empty seats and rooms.
- Delay the trip: If your wedding totally decimated your budget, it’s OK to postpone your honeymoon. Set aside some money each month and soon, you’ll be able to go worry-free. Charlie can even help you track your savings goal.
- Plan a mini-moon: There’s no rule that says your post-wedding vacation has to be a certain length. Go away for a long weekend and pack a lot of fun into a little time — and on short money.
There are lots of clever ways to trim your honeymoon bill no matter where and when you go. Here’s a few of Charlie’s faves:
- Use a travel agent: Often, travel agents can hook you up with hidden deals you couldn’t access on your own. Just be sure that you still come out ahead after paying the agent’s fees.
- Take advantage of credit card points or airline miles: If you’ve been saving them forever, now’s the perfect time to give you and your honey some luxury upgrades without breaking the bank.
- Use your wedding gift registry strategically: You can opt for a cash registry so that guests can contribute directly to your vacation fund. Or, you can ask for certain honeymoon components like vouchers for activities, plane tickets, or gift cards for dining.
- Tell vendors it’s your honeymoon: If you tell hotel personnel that you’re newlyweds on your first vacation as a married couple, there’s a good chance that free perks will come your way.
Your honeymoon can certainly cost you a pretty penny. However, there are tons of ways to curb the expense without ruining the fun!
Tell Charlie: How did you save on your honeymoon?